Summer is around the corner and we have already started feeling the intense power of the sun. It is time to take extra care of our health as summers can make you feel hot and sweaty in the upcoming months. Generally, people are drawn towards cold water, cold drinks and cold coffee in this season, to beat the heat. But consuming cold drinks and excessive coffee is bad for our health and only gives temporary relief. To satisfy the body’s requirements in summer, it is essential to hunt for options that cool us internally and are completely safe to use regularly.
We suggest Ayurvedic and herbal remedies to beat the heat naturally. Natural ways to take care of the body are always considered the best as their effect is for a longer period of time and works for more than one problem.
How Heat Affects the Body?
High temperatures and scorching heat increases the body’s temperature as well. It can alter the body temperature which leads to disturbance in our internal functioning. The heat causes dehydration in the body with the excessive loss of water which results in serious health problems like heat strokes, dry skin, slow metabolic rate, diarrhoea and muscle cramps.
Heat can cause damage to our body beyond imagination. Studies show that our brain is highly affected by the increasing heat and humidity. Loss of sleep and headaches is quite common when the body suffers from heat. Dizziness, visual disturbances, nausea, breathlessness, heartburn, acidity, inflammation, palpitations and numbness of body parts are also related to soaring temperatures.
How Do Herbs Help Nullify the Effect of Heat?
Herbs are a wonderful creation of nature that can lower the heat in our body, especially in liver and intestines. These plants have no side effects on the body and can be used by all. Since Vedic times, herbs have been used to treat all types of body issues. The deep nourishment and restorative properties of herbs serve as a unique herbal treatment for the body. After a great deal of research on the uses and benefits of herbs, we have brought to you some effective herbs that contain the power of cooling and shower it on the human body:
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera has a cooling effect on the body and prevents bloating. It takes care of your skin and prevents rashes and acne during the summer due to oily skin. It is also great for digestion as it reduces constipation, bloating and acidity.
- Mint: Mint aka Pudina is an all-time favourite summer plant in India. Leaves of mint plant are used for preparing variety of dishes like yummy chutney. It has amazing cooling properties plus it is loaded with phytonutrients which have a healthy effect on the digestive system.
- Shatavari: This is an age-old herb known for its cooling and soothing qualities. This herb is found in the foothills of Himalayas. It is a sweet root that has the power of removing excess heat from the body and is highly useful for curing several diseases.
- Tamarind: Imli or tamarind is a tangy sweet-sour fruit that is popular for its tangy taste. It is used in many Indian summer dishes because of its excellent cooling properties. It is largely consumed in the warm parts of India like Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
- Cumin: ‘Jal Jeera’ is the famous cool drink of summers because of its nutritional and cooling ingredients particularly Jeera or cumin. Cumin seeds are used for the wonderful flavour and the supercooling digestive strength. Roast these seeds and add them to a whole variety of foods to enjoy the refreshing taste.
- Berries: Berries are not only rich in fibre but are also a very good source of vitamins. These are juicy fruits which are full of nutrients and are super tasty. Eat power-packed berries in summers and stay hydrated and cool.
- Grapes: Grapes are full of water and can fulfil the water need of the body. These vine fruits are available in many varieties but each variety is delicious and beneficial. The large amount of antioxidants present in grapes prevent the signs of ageing and improves digestion. Grapes hydrate the body and keep it cool in summers.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are super fibrous and can fill the stomach exceptionally well. The high content of water in cucumber makes it summer favourite. One cucumber can actually give the content of one glass of water. It cools the body and helps in regulating blood pressure. It is a must have fruit for people with excess weight as it is low in calories.
- Water Melon: As the name suggests this fruit contains lot of water in it. The delicious taste is the attraction point for this fruit. Watermelons are largely available in summers and consuming them can make everyone summer ready. Other than these benefits, watermelons are good for nerve strength and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- Fennel Seeds: Fennel seeds are known as ‘Saunf’ in Hindi. Fennel seeds leave a cooling effect in the mouth after consumption. The aroma of fennel seeds makes it a good natural mouth freshener. These seeds reduce the tridosha of the body and lend a cooling effect. Other than water retention in the body, it also helps in flushing out the toxins.
- Coriander: Coriander leaves or ‘Dhaniya’ are the green colour leaves of the coriander plant. These leaves have a beautiful aroma which stays even when used in several cooked meals. Coriander is one of the most effective cooling herbs. Mostly it is used in summer season to keep the body cool and strengthen the digestive system.
Nature is the power hub of nutrients.
If you ever notice, you will find that different plants and fruits grow in different seasons. This is because Mother Nature is aware of the seasonal requirements of the human body. If we decide to sync our bodies with the nourishment provided by Mother Nature, no disease or deficiency can catch us. A simple life with simple herbs can be really very healthy.
Spend this summer with the help of herbs and fruits like never before. Include Nature’s love in your daily meals and beat the heat with the secrets of Ayurveda with Preserva Wellness Aloe Vera juices!