Gastric problems are issues such as belching, bloating, heartburn, flatulence or gas formation, acidity, burning in stomach etc. These are common after a heavy, spicy meal, big late-night dinner, excess unsuitable milk intake (lactose intolerance) or any indigestion caused due to food. These gastric problems are hard to diagnose because sometimes the symptoms are overlapping and tricky to be able to identify the real cause. A minor symptom may trigger a bigger health problem and may cause unnecessary clinical visits. These issues can be fixed by certain home remedies, lifestyle changes or just taking any herbal formulation.
Common causes of gastric problems are: stress (mental and physical), certain hard to digest foods (cabbage, beans, fried and spicy food), aerated drinks, lifestyle, family history, certain allopathic medications and some health ailments such as irritable bowel syndrome, peptic ulcer, celiac disease, crohn’s disease and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Stroll after a meal
- Eat and chew slowly
- Drink plenty of water, at least 3-4 litres a day as it keeps acidity and flatulence at bay
- Drink water before meals
- Use natural supplements containing ingredients good for digestion like aloe vera, turmeric, lemon, guava etc.
- Avoid refined, fatty and spicy food
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Don’t indulge in excess tea or coffee
- Avoid artificial sweeteners
- Do not smoke