Insomnia is a sleep disorder where individuals experience persistent difficulty in sleeping. It is also known as sleeplessness. Insomnia can last for a small period or an indefinite period of time. It is characterised by low energy, feeling sleepy in the day, irritability and depression. It can further cause problems in focussing and learning new things.
Insomnia can also be caused by medications given for diseases like high blood pressure, thyroid, asthma, etc. Medical issues like gastrointestinal issues, nasal allergies, and chronic pain can also cause insomnia. At times stress and emotional troubles can also trigger this sleeping disorder. Insomnia can be categorised as acute or chronic depending on how long it lasts. Acute insomnia is short term and can last for one night to a few weeks. Chronic insomnia is when a person has insomnia for at least 3 nights a week for a month or longer. It is quite common in adult male and females.
- Eat healthy food
- Read good books before bed time
- Listen to music that calms down the brain
- Use natural ways like yoga and ayurvedic herbal supplements
- Take medical help in serious cases of insomnia
- Do not consume coffee or tea to avoid caffeine. Caffeine keeps the brain alert and poses difficulty in sleeping.
- Avoid dealing with cell phones just before bed time
- Do not eat heavy meals
- Do not exercise before bed time
- Do not mess with the natural body clock, i.e. the sleep timing of the body
- Cigarettes contain nicotine and can induce insomnia. Thus, avoid cigarettes.
Products For Insomnia