A bone mineral density test determines how rich your bones are in minerals such as calcium and phosphorus. It is the amount of bone mass and bone mineral in the bone tissue. The higher the mineral content, the denser and stronger your bones are and the less likely they may break.
Good and high bone density equals less fractures. It helps to find out if you are at the risk of fractures or low bone strength and it is measured with the help of bone densitometry or DEXA Scanner through a Bone Mineral density (BMD) machine. Poor bone health leads to a high probability of fractures or bone breakage and muscle and joint pain and is also called osteopenia. It helps to treat serious bone ailments or bone loss that may further help to prevent osteoporosis and other types of arthritis. There are many causes of weak bones such as arthritis, heavy smoking, celiac disease, inactive lifestyle habits, alcohol consumption, inadequate calcium in the diet and low body weight or low BMI.
- Include enough calcium and Vitamin D in your diet
- Be physically active
- Eat lean proteins
- Consume foods rich in Vitamin K and phosphorous
- Consume dairy products
- Don’t drink caffeinated drinks, alcohol or aerated drinks
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle
- Don’t avoid it if you have a family history of bone related problems like osteoporosis, spondylitis or other forms of arthritis