Did you know 99% of the calcium is found in our bones and teeth and the remaining percentage in muscles, blood and other body tissues? Therefore, our overall health may suffer if there is any short supply of calcium which is termed as calcium deficiency or hypocalcaemia.
Calcium deficiency may cause weak bones or osteoporosis, weak nails, hair, seizures, memory problems, increase rate of fractures etc. It may be related to inadequate calcium in the diet which is the leading cause of osteopenia and osteoporosis. The symptoms of calcium deficiency are neck or back pain, bone tenderness and pain, humped posture and frequent fractures.
Prolonged or chronic calcium deficiency may cause osteoporosis, osteopenia and rickets in children. If there is low calcium in the circulating blood, it is termed as hypocalcaemia which may be caused due to hypoparathyroidism or certain medications. The symptoms of hypocalcaemia include tremors, lethargy, irritability, seizures and jitters. Calcium deficiency can be detected using A DEXA scan or through a Bone Mineral Density (BMD) test.
- Choose natural calcium supplements or fortified foods
- Do weight training to strengthen bones
- Consume dairy products as they are rich in calcium and Vitamin D
- Eat meats in moderation
- Protect yourself against falls
- Avoid coffee, alcohol and cigarettes
- Avoid aerated and other unhealthy drinks
- Don’t do the same exercise every day
- Ignore the problem if you have a family history of bone related problems
- Eat excess salt in your food
Products For CALCIUM DEFIECIENCY