The accumulation of gases in the alimentary canal is known as flatulence or commonly as gas. Gases are created during digestion process and while swallowing food or water we tend to swallow some air. All these collected gases need to be expelled from the body and the release of gases from the back passage or anus, usually accompanied with sound, is generally known as a farting or flatulence.
Sometimes these gases are odourless or might have a smell due to sulphur, methane and carbon dioxide. Excessive intestinal gas or stomach gas is just a waste part of the undigested or semi-digested food. Passing gas 5 to 15 times a day is normal but an excess can be quite embarrassing. Diet and lifestyle modification can help in controlling gas or flatulence. It is a natural biological condition that everyone encounters regularly. Food that is difficult to digest or excess air swallowing may be the cause of excess flatulence but some health ailments such as irritable bowel syndrome and recurring indigestion can also cause excess flatulence as well.
Some main causes of flatulence are: lactose intolerance, excesses swallowed air, slow breakdown of difficult or undigested foods. Bloating, abdominal discomfort, frequent farting and belching are the common sign of excessive flatulence.
Excessive flatulence can be reduced by the following methods:
• Modifying eating habits and eating foods light on the stomach
• Changing your diet to avoid foods that cause excessive gas
• Utilizing over-the-counter anti-gas medication but remember these have side effects
• Avoiding dairy products if you are lactose intolerant
• Using natural herbs and supplements to control flatulence like lemon, guava, turmeric, aloe vera
- Eat small meals
- Indulge in some moderate exercise daily
- Choose light snacks
- Use natural herbs and supplements. Include cumin in your diet.
- Do not lie down or be stationery after a meal. Walk for 10 minutes after eating.
- Don’t consume excess food or heavy fatty food
- Avoid dairy products, if you have lactose intolerance
- Avoid excess coffee or tea
- Avoid excess chilli and spice food
Products For FLATULENCE