Hypertension is a condition in which blood flow in the arteries is constantly high. Hypertension is commonly known as high blood pressure. It has become quite common with excessive stress affecting people these days. It is considered to be a global health issue by World Health Organisation and they believe the high incidence of hypertension is also due to increase in sodium and processed food consumption.
Hypertension requires immediate medical attention. It doesn’t prove fatal immediately but can be dangerous for the body. The normal blood pressure reading is 120 over 80 mm of mercury (mmHg). People with hypertension have readings higher than 130 over 80 mmHg. There are two types of hypertension, i.e. Primary Hypertension and Secondary Hypertension. Primary hypertension is caused due to various genetic and environmental factors. Secondary hypertension is caused due to kidney diseases, hyperthyroidism, etc.
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure are as follows:
1. Shortness of breath
4. Chest pain
5. Blurry vision
- Consult a good doctor. Medical attention is the primary requirement of patients suffering from hypertension.
- Monitor blood pressure at regular intervals
- Reduce stress by light exercise or doing fun activities
- Manage body weight
- Do not begin any exercise without consulting the doctor. Physical exercise is generally advised but the intensity of exercise varies from person to person.
- Do not eat too much salt. Decrease the intake of salt in your meals.
- Do not eat unhealthy food
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol