Chronic development of sores or ulcers with pus and inflammation in the lining of sigmoid colon or rectum of the large intestine is known as Ulcerative Colitis. It is a type of inflammatory bowel disease affecting the gastrointestinal tract.
The symptoms of ulcerative colitis may vary from person to person and depend on the severity of the infection and the affected part. Ulcerative Colitis may be due to disruptive and abnormal immune system, genetics or environmental factors. The diagnosis may involve tissue biopsy, stool test, endoscopy, scans and colonoscopy.
In severe cases, the colon may need to be removed through surgery, when there is not any improvement from diet and medication. Symptoms are periodic, they may flare up or reappear and disappear suddenly and this unpredictability may make it tough to treat.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis are:
2. Pus or blood in stool
3. Recurring diarrhea
4. Low appetite
5. Fatigue, anemia, rapid heart rate
6. Tenesmus (sudden urge to evacuate the bowel) and abdominal pain with discomfort
7. It can also cause joint pain and swelling, mouth sores, skin problems and eye inflammations
- Choose low fat foods that are not spicy
- Choose low fiber vegetables, limit intake of fiber
- Drink plenty of fluids regularly, consume at least 3-4 litres of water a day
- Avoid foods containing gluten
- Stay away from alcohol, sugar and refined foods
- Avoid stressful environment and situations
- Don’t consume milk, especially if you are lactose intolerant
Products For Ulcerative Colitis