Varicose veins are swollen and enlarged veins that appear blue or purple. It happens because of the improper functioning of valves in the veins. This restricts the flow of blood in the veins which ultimately results in this issue. It can be a sign of other circulatory problems and can cause clotting, internal bleeding in veins or ulcers in extreme cases
Varicose veins are easily visible due to the swelling and coloured appearance. These veins are very painful and cause discomfort in the entire body part. Any vein can become a varicose vein but those in your legs and feet are most vulnerable due to the pressure of your body weight on those parts. Some people refer to them as spider veins also but they are smaller and closer to the skins surface.
This condition is quite common in women. Some causes for this condition are:
3. Old age
4. Genetic history
- Exercise regularly to manage weight. Look for easier exercises that can be performed easily and improves blood circulation.
- Use nutritional supplements that help in better blood circulation
- Lead an active lifestyle. Sedentary lifestyle can worsen the condition.
- Avoid high heels and elevate your legs
- Eat a diet rich in fibre and low in sodium
- Reduce your weight in case it is excess
- Do not stand for longer periods of time
- Do not take medications without consulting the doctor
- Stand or sit in the same position for prolonged periods