Daucus carota or carrot is a vegetable belonging to the family Apiaceae. It consists of a rosette of leaves and taproots which are rich in potent antioxidants such as alpha-carotene and beta-carotene. Earlier the plant was cultivated in Persia, but now it is also grown in Southwest Asia and Europe. This root vegetable is mostly of orange colour but purple, red, black, yellow and white carrots also exist.
Carrots are the best source of vitamin A as they contain its precursor called beta-carotene. Deeper the colour of carrot, higher is the content of beta-carotene. Vitamin A is useful for the skin, for supporting the immune system and for enhancing vision.
Like any other herb or vegetable, carrot is made up of many important components. Carrot contains 90 percent water, trace amount of proteins and fats, and the remaining 10 percent is composed of carbohydrates including fibres.
Carrot is among the best sources of Vitamin A which help in improving vision, immune function, development and growth. Another vitamin in carrot which is present in generous amounts is vitamin B7 or Biotin, which helps in protein and fat metabolism. Carrot also possesses Vitamin K1 or phylloquinone, which is essential for blood coagulation. Carrot also has dietary fibres, Vitamin C and vitamin B6, folate, vitamin E and minerals like manganese, calcium, phosphorous, potassium and magnesium.
Carrots contain a wide range of carotenoids, which are powerful anti-oxidants. They provide strength to the immune system and reduce the risk of various degenerative diseases, cardiovascular diseases, and certain cancers.
Carotenoids in carrots include beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lycopene, lutein, anthocyanins, and polyacetylene. Lycopene is mainly found in purple and red carrots, lutein is mainly found in orange and yellow carrots and anthocyanins are majorly found in dark coloured carrots.
Benefits of Carrots:
- Wonderful for Eyes: Carrots are protective for the eyes. They prevent the onset and lessen the progression of disorder related to eyes due to the presence of beta-carotene and other important carotenoids in them.
- Improve Vision: As carrots act as good sources of vitamin A; they are instrumental in improving vision and eyesight.
- Improve Hair Health: Being rich in vitamin A, carrots make hair stronger, longer and thicker. Consuming carrots and massaging carrot extract on your scalp improve blood circulation to the scalp which is in turn instrumental in preventing premature greying of hair and hairfall.
- Reduce Risk of Cancer: Carrots lessen the risk of cancer. They show a protective effect against various types of cancers; such as breast, prostate, colon and stomach.
- Regulate Heart Health: Carrots regulate blood cholesterol levels and blood pressure, and hence help in improving heart health.
- Helps in Weight loss: Carrots enhance satiety due to their fibre content, and thus reduce hunger pangs. This makes them effective for weight loss.
- Improve Digestion: Carrots improve digestion and facilitate cleansing of digestive tract due to their water and fibre content. Carrots are protective towards liver as well.
- Strengthen Immune System: Carrots are instrumental in boosting immunity due to the presence of various vitamins and minerals in them.
- Aid in Detoxification: Carrots detoxify the body as they are rich in fibre and help in maintaining proper bowel movements.
- Helpful in Diabetes: Carrots help to regulate blood sugar levels and reduce hunger pangs in diabetics.
- Protect Nervous System: Carrots are rich in a compound called luteolin which can reduce age-related memory deficits and inflammation in brain. One can retain memory and protect the nervous system with carrots.
- Improve Bone Health: Carrots maintain and boost bone health due to their mineral content.
- Good for Skin: Carrots preserve skin health and help in wound healing due to the presence of the needed vitamins and minerals in them.
- Effective for Menstrual Health: Carrots relieve menstrual pain and ease post menopausal symptoms in women.
- Prevent paralysis: Since carrots are packed with antioxidants and fibre, they prevent inflammation of blood vessels and prevent paralysis.
Since carrots can address a wide range of health issues, they make important ingredients for Ayurvedic formulations. Take them in use with Visiongold Juice and Tressgrow Oil and Tablets.