Giloy aka Tinospora Cordifolia, is a beautiful heart-leaved plant. It is a herbaceous vine from the family Menispermaceae. Some other names of giloy are Indian quinine, gulancha, guduchi.
This plant is mainly grown in tropical areas of India, Myanmar and Sri Lanka. It is a deciduous climbing plant with fleshy aerial roots and has largely been used as an effective medicinal herb in Ayurveda. Giloy is greatly beneficial in the restoration of health and improvement of overall well-being.
This nutrient rich herb is known as ‘Amrita’ meaning immortality or nectar in Sanskrit. Giloy has amazing anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, antipyretic (fever reducing) and anti-oxidant properties which make it appropriate for the treatment of even deadly diseases like cancer, swine flu and malaria. It is quite popular for its special power of enhancing the platelet count in the blood. All such qualities of Giloy result in stimulating immunity and making it stronger for fighting pathogens attacking the body. It has a good quantity of alkaloids, flavonoids and carbohydrates which makes it important for thehealth.
Benefits of Giloy
- Relieves Chronic Fever: The antipyretic nature of giloy makes it a useful herb during chronic fever. Giloy is used in cases of malaria, chikungunya and dengue where platelet count falls severely. It increases the blood platelet count and also provides relief from fever.
- Improves Digestion: Good digestion is interconnected to our bowel movements and the food we eat. Giloy improves the digestion of the body. It also counters gastrointestinal disorders like jaundice, chronic dysentery, gastritis etc.
- Eye Treatment: Eye disorders can be treated to a large extent with this herb. It improves vision and helps one get rid of spectacles. Continuous use of giloy for eyes can result in noticeable changes in eye health.
- Lack of Sex Drive: People generally feel shy about talking about their sexual problems and avoid taking any chemical medications due to the fear of side effects on the body. In such cases, giloy can really help due to its aphrodisiac qualities.
- Helps reduce Skin Infections: This exceptional herb can do wonders for the skin. It alleviates the signs of ageing like wrinkles, fine lines etc. It improves blood circulation which provides glowing, supple and youthful skin. Skin infections and allergies can also be dealt firmly with the use of giloy.
- Controls Diabetes: Giloy has the power to reduce high blood sugar level. It acts as a hypoglycaemic agent for diabetes. Drinking giloy juice is considered highly beneficial for diabetic patients. It is a natural way to keep blood sugar level in control.
- Handles respiratory issues: Complex respiratory issues like asthma, bronchitis, can be tackled with giloy consumption. Giloy also works on simple respiratory problems like coughing, shortness of breath and chest tightness.
- Better stress management- Stress and anxiety can be the root cause of many health issues. Giloy works as an anti-stress herb and provides a calming effect to the body and mind. This herb has the capability of clearing brain toxins and improving brain health. It also serves as a perfect nervous relaxant.
- Natural Arthritis assistance- Joint problems like arthritis and gout can be given help with the use of giloy. The anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritis properties of giloy bring down the swelling and gives relief from pain.