Lemongrass is a commonly grown herb that has an aroma like that of a lemon. It is scientifically known as Cymbopogon citratus and belongs to the grass family or Gramineae. It is native to tropical islands, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, Asia and Africa.
Common names of lemongrass are silky head, fever grass, citronella grass and many more.
It is a perennial and tall grass found in the subtropical and tropical climate and India is the highest producer of lemongrass in the world. It is cultivated in the Himalayan Mountains, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh. It consists of soft fountain of leaves with tangy lemon like flavour and scent. The leaves are widely used in cooking and impart a sweet taste.
Lemongrass contains 75-85 percent citral or lemonal, which is the main essential oil. Along with this essential oil, it also contains flavonoids, estragole, methyl eugenol, geraniol, limonene, citronellal, pinene, alpha terpineole, longifolene and many more. Lemongrass is a storehouse of many nutrients beneficial to health such as, Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, Vitamin C and folate. It also has a variety of minerals including calcium, potassium, zinc, copper, iron and phosphorus.
Lemongrass posses a wide range of medicinal activities. These include analgesic, anthelmentic, and antibacterial, anticancer, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-malarial, anti-oxidant, anti-viral, diuretic, cardio tonic, hypoglycaemic and CNS-protective properties.
Benefits of Lemongrass
- Aids in Digestion: Lemongrass has a cooling energy which helps to soothe your stomach and keeps your digestive functions in check.
- Improves Metabolism: Lemongrass improves metabolism, flushes out bad cholesterol and toxins and helps you lose weight.
- Helps in Sleeping Well: Lemongrass helps in achieving and maintaining sound sleep, in soothing aching muscles and works as a natural agent for de-stressing. It acts as a tonic for nerves and nervous system.
- Regulates Lipid Profile: Lemongrass has antihyperlipidemic property and assists in lowering LDL or bad cholesterol level. It thus supports normal and healthy cholesterol levels and prevents lipid accumulation in blood vessels as well.
- Acts as Diuretic: It is a diuretic and is thus helpful in detoxification of body by flushing out toxins and uric acid.
- Protects Against Cancer: The main component of lemongrass is citral, which prevents growth of certain malignant cells, works as an anti-proliferative agent and induces cell death in potentially malignant cells.
- Has Anti-microbial Properties: Lemongrass shows antibacterial and antimicrobial activities which assist in maintaining healthy gastrointestinal tract and prevents diarrhea, ulcers, constipation, nausea and other minor ailments and infections.
- Provides Relief in Respiratory Ailments: Lemongrass is a healing herb. It hence provides relief in respiratory inflammation and disorders, including common cough, cold and asthma due to its high vitamin C content. It heals urinary tract infection due to its antiseptic nature.
- Fights against Fever: It is an antipyretic herb, induces sweating thus treats fever. Due to this property, it is also known as a fever grass.
- Assists in Wound-Healing: Lemongrass assists in wound healing and manages various skin infections and disorders such as scabies, ringworm, sores. It relieves and soothes the discomfort and pain associated with migraine and headache.
- Helpful in Diabetes: It improves glucose sensitivity and tolerance, and is thus helpful in preventing and managing diabetes.
- Boosts Immunity: Lemongrass boosts immunity and restores cellular health so that your body can stay protected from diseases and infections.
- Prevents Water Retention: It prevents water retention or edema since it assists in clearance and detoxification of lymphatic congestion.
- Used in Aromatherapy: Lemongrass has extensive use in Aromatherapy, since it has calming and soothing effect on the whole body.
The therapeutic properties of lemongrass make it a part of Daily Calm Tea and Immune Boosting Tea of Preserva Wellness.