Saint John’s Wort is the common name for Hypericum Perforatum, a flowering plant from the family Hypericaceae. It is a perennial plant that grows up to 1-3 feet. It has yellow flowers with five petals. Also known as ‘magic potion’, this herb is usually found in wild group of Europe and also in parts of America, Asia, Russia, China and Middle East.
Some other names of St. John’s Wort are goatweed and rosin rose. Flowers, bark, fruits and leaves of this plant are used for various medicinal purposes and has valuable benefits. It works as a pain reliever, uplifts mood and is an effectual healer. Currently, it is one of the most popular herbs all over the world known for its influential anti-depressing qualities.
Benefits of St. John’s Wort
- Manages Effects of PMS: Premenstrual Syndrome is a condition in which women’s emotional and physical behaviour is affected during menstrual cycle, especially just before the menses period. This condition is caused due to a rise in the levels of hormones. PMS symptoms like mood swings, depression, anxiety, fatigue go away as soon as menstruation begins. It is observed that treatment with St. John’s Wort helps in providing relief from PMS. It even provides relief in lower pelvic pain which is quite common amongst women.
- Fights Depression: Depression can leave a person with least positivity and hope. Medications play an important role in depression but can bestow major side-effects on a person’s health. St. John’s wort is a natural and effective solution for depression. It contains hyperforin, hypericin and pseudohypericin which have strong, natural anti-depressant and anxiolytic properties. Such qualities of this herb can provide relief even from acute depression.
- Helps in Reducing Nerve Pain: St. John’s Wort is a powerful medicine for nerve pain. It can help patients suffering from nerve issues like sciatica, spinal pain and neuropathic pain in the body.
- Regulates Blood Pressure: Fluctuations in blood pressure can lead to many severe diseases. This anti-depressant herb also has the ability to maintain blood pressure. The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help in lowering high blood pressure and avoiding the risk of heart problems.
- Relief from Inflammation and Skin Allergies: Inflammatory health problems like arthritis, gout, skin infections and intestinal inflammatory issues can be reduced with the use of St. John’s Wort. It is rich in antioxidants and possesses anti-inflammatory properties. Joint pain can also be minimized with this herb.
- Anti-Viral Action: Viral diseases like Hepatitis A and B are deadly diseases which are caused by viral infection. Use of this wonder herb can largely prevent the occurrence of viral diseases due to the high content of antioxidants in it.
- Liver Protection: When the liver is unable to remove toxins from the body efficiently, there is an automatic imbalance in hormones, which further leads to many negative alterations in a person’s physical and emotional state. St. John’s Wort is a perfect hepatic herb. It protects the liver and improves its efficiency. It helps in elimination of waste and speeding up metabolism, thus, providing better liver health.