The plant of turmeric, scientifically known as Curcuma Longa, belongs to the ginger family known as Zingiberaceae. The powder of turmeric is obtained from the rhizomes and is used as a colouring and flavouring agent in cooking. Turmeric has extensive medicinal and commercial applications. It has an earthy aroma, and is warm and is slightly bitter taste. It has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha medicinal system. Turmeric is largely found in Asia, West Africa, China and India. India is the largest producer of turmeric in the world.
Turmeric plant can grow up to 3 feet tall. It is a perennial herb with a cylindrical yellow or orange rhizome. The leaves are large, alternate and narrow at the tip. The flowers are large and yellow in colour.
Turmeric has got certain important medicinal properties that have been used to prevent and cure various health issues. These properties make turmeric a very strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, anti-asthmatic, anti-cancerous, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-depressant, hypolipidemic agent. It has wide medicinal application which has been scientifically proven by innumerable studies around the world. The most important bio-active compound found in Turmeric is Curcumin which is responsible for all its medicinal properties. Due to the presence of curcumin in turmeric, it is capable of addressing various health ailments such as recurring infections, low immunity, arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, disorders of thyroid gland, limiting weight gain.
Benefits of Turmeric due to presence of Curcumin
- Addresses Digestive Problems: It is a useful remedy for various gastro-intestinal disorders as curcumin is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. It helps in limiting problems such as dyspepsia, gastric ulcers, indigestion, acid reflux and GERD. It reduces inflammation in the intestines and stomach and helps to detoxify the body. Turmeric due to curcumin is useful for Inflammatory and Irritable bowel diseases.
- Improves Kidney Health: It prevents formation of gall stone and kidney stone. It restores kidney health and prevents urinary infections.
- Improves Respiratory Health: It has been used to treat respiratory disorders, such as asthma, bronchitis, COPD and persistent cough. It is helpful in preventing your lungs from the bad effects of smoking, pollution and toxins.
- Fights Swelling and Pain: Curcumin is one of the best treatments for all inflammatory disorders and muscle injuries as it reduces swelling and brings down pain. It works as a natural painkiller. Curcumin protects bones and eases arthritic pain and swelling, heals bone fractures and muscle related disorders.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Microbial: Curcumin has anti-inflammatory property and helps to reduce swelling in the entire body. It works on individual organs like ears, eyes, mouth, throat, etc. It is anti-microbial and thus helps in treating influenza and various other infections, including cold and flu. Curcumin also prevents recurrent infections. It significantly inhibits the growth of various fungi including those involved in Candida, athlete’s foot, and other fungal infections.
- Immunity Booster and Anti-Cancer: It has significant anti-cancer action that prevents metastasis and formation of new blood vessels in the cancerous cells. Curcumin boosts immunity, makes postoperative recovery easy and helps in quick healing.
- Fights Diabetes: Curcumin from turmeric is a useful preventive treatment for diabetes mellitus. Studies have also shown that it can stabilise glucose levels in the blood. It also lowers pancreatic inflammation which helps to improve the functioning of pancreas which regulates insulin production. It helps in preventing the complications and bad effects of diabetes and related allopathic medicines in diabetic patients.
- Fights Obesity: Turmeric due to curcumin helps to lower water retention and inflammation in the body. It can give other herbs for weight loss a boost to increase metabolism.
- Improves Heart Health: It helps to prevent various cardiovascular disorders such as atherosclerosis. It is also effective in managing and reducing cholesterol levels. It aids in blood disorders, such as preventing platelet aggregation.
- Improves Nervous Health: Curcumin from turmeric protects brain cells due to its potent anti-oxidant activity. It helps in Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and boosts memory. It is a helpful remedy for depression, stress and bipolar disorder. It is also helpful in controlling seizures linked with epilepsy.
- Aids in Detoxification: Turmeric due to curcumin helps in detoxification of body and helps in removing heavy metals due to its chelating and anti-oxidant property. Curcumin is known to fight free radicals and reduce cell damage.
- Improves Female Reproductive Health: It helps in handling symptoms of menopause, endometriosis, PCOS, fibroids and premenstrual syndrome.
- Improves Male Reproductive Health: Dietary supplementation with curcumin has been associated with restoration of systolic blood pressure, sperm motility, testosterone level and improvement of antioxidant status in the epididymides and testes.
- Improves Prostrate Health: It is helpful in limiting abnormal prostrate growth and prostrate inflammation.
- Improves Skin Health: Turmeric is a well-known remedy for skin problems such as sunburn, allergies, rashes, acne, and eczema, fastens wound healing and limits age-related signs.
Above are only few good effects of turmeric due to curcumin. It has various other advantages for health. Since curcumin is responsible for therapeutic properties of turmeric, Preserva Wellness makes almost all its products based on curcumin.