Chamomile plant is a daisy-like plant and is often referred to a star among medicinal plants. Chamomile belongs to the family Asteraceae. Its use in traditional sphere and recent times is justified because of its many therapeutic benefits in the field of medicine, cosmetic and nutrition. An increase in demand in the market for Chamomile is seen with each passing day. The herb is native to Europe and also found in Germany, France, Russia, Asia, Africa, America and Brazil. It has been known for thousands of years in ancient Egypt, Rome and Greece.
It is one of the main herbs, which have been used in all the systems of medication, including Unani, Chinese, Ayurveda and Homeopathy. It is a wild herb and can be found growing along roadside, along the fences and in sunny lawns. It is an annual herb with light green feather-like leaves. The flowers are small, white and like daisy. The flowers bloom in the months of May to October. The plant has pineapple like mild fragrance.
Biological composition of Chamomile is one of the reasons behind its vast usage for healing. The principal components of chamomile are chamazulene, β-farnesene, terpene alcohol, α-bisabolol oxides A and α-bisabolol. They are responsible for antiphlogistic, spasmolytic, and anti-inflammatory activities. The plants of Family Asteraceae mostly have flavonoids and volatile blue oil. Chamomile herb also contains the beneficial components including, sesquiterpenes, polyacetylene, coumarins and bioflavonoids.
Biological activities which relate to Chamomile include its work as anti-cancer, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-stress, anti-spasmodic, hepato-protective, immuno-modulator and sedative natural agent.
Benefits of Chamomile
- Imparts Calmness: It induces calmness and promotes rejuvenating and sound sleep so that you can easily achieve and maintain good sleep and wake up refreshed.
- Combats Stress and Anxiety: Chamomile is a useful remedy for stress and anxiety.
- Empowers Immune System: It is a naturally powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory herb and thus improves immunity and reduces the inflammation.
- Fights allergies: Chamomile can help in fighting allergy caused by immune response to a certain substance that might have touched or entered your body.
- Prevents Recurrent Infections: Chamomile contains a number of phenolic compounds, which prevent infections and strengthen the immune system. It helps in fighting with common infections such as, cold, flu, congestion, and sinus.
- Heals skin disorders: Chamomile helps in healing various skin diseases and disorders such as, rashes, skin allergies, and eczema.
- Anti-ageing in Nature: It lessens existing wrinkles and scars on the face and improves the texture of skin.
- Addresses Digestive Issues: It is very effective in managing intestinal and stomach cramps, irritable bowel syndrome, nausea, indigestion, heartburn due to its antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Addresses Menstrual Problems: It eases menstrual pain and other symptoms, like, bloating, nausea, sweating, mood swing and anxiety which are experienced during Pre-menstrual Syndrome and periods.
- Preventive against Cancer: Chamomile is rich in anti-oxidants that are instrumental in prevention of cancer. One such antioxidant is apigenin.
- Helpful for Heart: Chamomile decoction prevents a rise in LDL or bad cholesterol, and helps in regulating blood pressure.
- Helpful in Diabetes: Chamomile regulates the blood sugar level, and is therefore helpful in diabetes. It inhibits sudden drop or rise of blood sugar level.
- Improves Bone Strength: Chamomile improves bone density and stimulates the activity of bone-forming cells.
- Improves Hair Health: Chamomile is very useful remedy for improving the hair health. It prevents dandruff and gives a silky appearance to your tresses. Chamomile also strengthens roots of hairs and thus prevents hairfall.
The above therapeutic properties and the others which care not listed make Chamomile an essential herb in treatment, prevention and management of various health issues in humans. Chamomile should always been taken in approved formulations, such as in Daily Calm Tea.