Garlic or Alllium Sativum belongs to the lily family. A perennial plant and a popular classic ingredient of many cuisines, it grows in many countries and is not only used for its pungent flavor but also used as a therapeutic agent in modern as well as ancient systems of medicine to cure and prevent a wide range of ailments. It is similar to onions, chives, shallots and beautiful, delicate leeks used for culinary purpose.
Garlic plant is mostly grown in Central Asia, France, Rome, China, Egypt and India. A single bulb of garlic contains 10 or 20 cloves and the bulb has an onion like taste and a pungent smell. Allicin, a powerful active ingredient of garlic is responsible for its peculiar aroma and health benefits.
It has been proved from many scientific studies that garlic and its active compound allicin, has a wide range of applications. Allicin in garlic kills bacteria, virus, fungi and controls asthma, cold, athlete’s foot, candida, ringworm, cough and other minor health issues as well. It is also great for enhancing metabolism and weight loss.
Benefits of Garlic
- Garlic Boosts Immunity: Garlic gives a boost to the immune system by stimulating white blood cells that protect against any kind of infection and works against free radicals.
- Suppresses Cold and Flu: Garlic helps during cold and flu and lowers the severity because it’s a powerful anti viral and anti bacterial agent. It will knock down the sluggish and lethargic feeling associated with flu and severe cold.
- Fungal Infection: Garlic is helpful in inhibiting the most common fungal infection known as candidiasis. It is a useful remedy for women dealing with the gynecological issues related to fungal infections.
- Normalizes Cholesterol Level: Garlic helps to lower down bad cholesterol or low-density lipoprotein (LDL) by preventing the synthesis of cholesterol that can further blocks the tiny blood vessels and may cause risk of stroke or a heart attack.
- Regulates Blood Pressure Fluctuations: Regular consumption of garlic may reduce the systolic and diastolic pressure making it one of the more useful home remedies for high blood pressure. It dilates blood vessels and lowers down the peripheral vascular resistance.
- Manages Diabetes: Garlic is a natural anti-diabetic agent since it prevents insulin resistance and stabilizes blood sugar in diabetic patients.
- Prevents and Eliminates Intestinal worms: Garlic gently eliminates and kills parasites, even miniature amoebas, hookworms and pinworms. While expelling these worms, it also detoxifies the intestine that was previously filled with the worm’s toxins.
- Improves Heart Health: Garlic or allicin slows down the progression of various heart diseases by raising good cholesterol, reducing blood pressure, inhibiting lipid oxidation and controlling certain other factors.
- Fights Cancer: Various studies show that garlic also works against various types of cancers such as colon, esophagus, stomach, lungs and many more. It kills the malignant cells and prevents cancer cell proliferation. It also helps to remove toxins and strengthen the immune system.
- Natural Detoxifying Remedy: Garlic is richly loaded with Vitamin C, amino acids, bio-flavonoids, allicin and other anti-oxidants. All these fight with free radicals which can harm your skin, hair, heart and other organs. Therefore, garlic and its active ingredient, “Allicin” helps in the detoxification process.
Consumption of garlic is safe, but raw garlic can give burning and warm sensations, heartburn, bloating, vomiting, bad breath, gas and sometimes diarrhea. It may give allergies, blisters, burns and skin rashes while handling in mass extraction or processing or topical application. These allergies from garlic are very rare and it is one of the safest herbs.