Bhringraj also known as Eclipta Prostrata is a plant from the Asteraceae family. It is a species from the popular sunflower family. Some of the most common names of bhringraj are yerba de tago, false daisy or bhangra. The Sanskrit names bhangra or bhringaraj means King of Hair. In Hindi, it is known as keshraj, bhangra and babri. The plant is largely found all over India, Nepal, Thailand, China and Brazil.
This plant has greyish roots and has white flowers. The flowers have flower heads of around 6-8 mm diameter. It grows up to 3m in height. It tastes bitter and has hot potency. The plant is widely used all over Asia for its medicinal uses. It has three varieties namely Shweta bhringraj (white in colour), Peet bhringraj (yellow in colour) and Neel bhringraj (blue in colour).
The plant contains coumestans, polypeptides, thiophene derivatives, triterpenes, heptacosanol, sterols, polyacetylenes, and flavonoids. In Ayurveda, it is used as a rasayana and balances the doshas of the body.
Benefits of Bhringraj
- Hair Growth: This plant is known for its benefits for hair. One such benefit is the good growth of hair. It helps in the growth of hair which makes the hair strong, long and shiny. Bhringraj is the main constituent of many ayurvedic hair oils, hair dyes and hair care products due to its long-lasting benefits. It prevents premature greying of hair and can restore colour.
- Resolves all hair problems: Hair fall is a common issue nowadays. Bhringraj helps in reducing hair fall and prevents scalp infections. Itchy scalp, dandruff, inflammation can also be dealt with in a natural way with this plant. It is of great importance to people losing hair at a rapid pace as it can help in treating baldness.
- Resolves Scalp Problems: Bhringraj is known as the king of hair due to its wide range of benefits to the scalp. The deep nourishment of bhringraj oil makes it appropriate for treating dryness of scalp which further leads to many scalp issues such as fungal infections, dermatitis and dandruff.
- Regulates blood pressure: Fluctuating blood pressure is very harmful to the body and can lead to failure of many organs. Prolonged high blood pressure can even cause diseases like diabetes. Bhringraj is a herb that has the power to regulate blood pressure level. It improves the blood flow and prevents the occurrence of several fatal diseases.
- Useful in skin problems: Bhringraj is an anti-inflammatory herb. It reduces inflammation and also takes care of the pain associated with it. It is of great use to patients suffering from skin diseases and skin infections as it helps in the quick healing of wounds.
- Smooth functioning of the liver: Supplements which contain bhringraj can be used for enhancing liver health. The powder derived from bhringraj improves the digestion process and promotes overall health of the body.
- Treats eye disorders: Bhringraj is known for healing eye problems. It works effectively in reducing eye pain and swelling. It also works towards reducing eye infections.