Curcumin is a bioactive ingredient of turmeric and is known for its medicinal properties. Turmeric is a familiar dietary spice. Turmeric or Curcuma longa is a well-known plant in India and across the whole world. The Curcuma longa plant is largely found in Asian countries and belongs to the family Zingiberaceae. The rhizomes of the turmeric are harvested, cleaned, dried and are grounded to form the powder. Turmeric has been traditionally used for healing and managing a large number of ailments ranging from skin diseases to arthritis.
The medicinal activity of turmeric is due to the presence of curcuminoid in it which make 3% of the weight of turmeric. Curcuminoids include 77% curcumin, 17% demethoxycurcumin and 3% bisdemethoxycurcumin, but isolated curcumin is more powerful in action than the remaining two active ingredients. It has potential to treat and prevent immune-related disorders, cancer, metabolic illnesses and over one hundred illnesses in human beings.
Curcumin is a bright yellow-orange coloured compound, and is commonly used as a food- additive and colouring agent. Due to its therapeutic value, it has been extensively used to manage various disorders. Curcumin has been isolated and has been used as a single ingredient for quick and potent effect. It is an extremely strong anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant agent.
To get complete health benefits, pure and potent curcumin extracted from the turmeric root is a great choice as 1 root of turmeric provides only 2 to 3% of curcumin which does not fulfil the daily requirement for it.
Since curcumin shows wide-range of biological activities, it is used against many health disorders. The helpful biological activities of curcumin include anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-cancer, hepato-protective, and neuro-protective, cardio protective, anti-diabetic and anti-arthritic activities.
Benefits of Curcumin
- Improves Digestion: It helps in improving digestion, reducing gas, regularizing bowel movements to fight against constipation and diarrhoea. Curcumin is also effective in acidity, and serious stomach-related issues such as ulcers, Crohn’s disease, Celiac disease, irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive disorders.
- Addresses Auto-immune Diseases: It assists in limiting the progression of auto-immune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, multiple sclerosis. In people with family history of auto-immune diseases, curcumin can delay or prevent the onset of auto-immune disease.
- Protects Nerves: Curcumin is neuroprotective and good for the brain. It inhibits cell mortality and loss, improves cognitive functions, and prevents the onset and progression Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. It improves the health of nerves in cases of paralysis.
- Improves Mental Health: Curcumin works against stress, anxiety and depression. As it reduces inflammation in brain and improves the blood flow there, curcumin is effective in improving mental health.
- Reduces Weight: It helps in increasing metabolism, burning fat and reducing weight. It helps in losing weight even when there are road blocks to it such as diabetes, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems, and polycystic ovarian syndrome. It prevents accumulation of fat in body.
- Anti-oxidant in Nature: It works as an anti-oxidant, and fights against free radicals in the body. By this action, it protects the organs of body against serious damage by free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory in Nature: Curcumin interferes in various inflammatory pathways in human body and reduces the production of pro-inflammatory molecules. Therefore, it helps in reducing unwanted inflammation in the body.
- Relieves Pain: Curcumin is the nature’s pain killer provided to us. By lowering inflammation or swelling in the body, it reduces existing pain in body.
- Supports Reproductive Health: Curcumin supports men’s and women’s reproductive health and lowers the risk of infections in the reproductive tract.
- Heals Wear and Tear: Curcumin is effective in healing daily wear and tear faced by tissues of the body. It improves health of joints and can help in regeneration of cartilage.
- Protects Against Cancer: It has shown significant preventive power and limiting effects in various cancers, including breast, colon, lung and others.
- Improves Kidney Health: Curcumin is efficient in improving kidney functions, preventing and expelling kidney stones, limiting recurrent urinary tract infections, normalizing kidney function tests.
- Improves Liver Health: Curcumin effectively improves functions of liver. It fights against alcoholic and non-alcoholic fatty liver and its progression to liver fibrosis, liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.
- Improves Eye Health: It protects the eyes and guards against deteriorating eyesight and eye infections. It effectively reduces pain in eyes from their overuse in computer work.
- Completely Natural and Devoid of Steroids: It is more effective than non-steroidal inflammatory medication in Arthritis and other pain and inflammatory illnesses.
- Manages Hormonal Imbalance: Curcumin is effective in bringing back the hormonal balance in the body and is therefore of therapeutic use in issues like thyroid problems, polycystic ovarian disease.
Curcumin shows a wide safety even in a much higher dose without any adverse effect. The above listed health-benefits of curcumin are only few of thousands. The wide range of affectivity of curcumin on body health makes it the base-ingredient of almost all the products of Preserva Wellness.