Guava aka Jamphal is a tropical fruit that belongs to the plant family Myrtaceae. Its scientific name is Psidium guajava. Guavas are sweet in taste and are liked not just by human beings, but also several animal species. The sweet fragrance of this fruits also attracts many birds and moths. It is slightly rough on the outer part and fleshy with seeds inside. India is one of the largest producers of guavas. It is also cultivated in many tropical and subtropical regions like Asia, Mexico and Central America.
This tangy tasty fruit is known for its nutritious value and medicinal properties. It is a great source of vitamins along with other anti-oxidants, proteins and minerals. It is available in many different varieties like Chinese guava, apple guava and mountain guava.
Benefits of Guava
- Regulates Blood Pressure: Guava helps in regulating blood pressure and in maintaining smooth flow of blood. The high percentage of potassium in this fruit keeps blood pressure levels normalized.
- Proper Digestion: Guava is rich in vitamins and minerals, especially in Vitamin B Complex. It is also a good source of fibre. The high anti-bacterial property of this fruit protects the digestive system from harmful bacteria. It increases bowel movements and works well for constipation. Guava helps in digestive issues like diarrhoea, dysentery and gastric issues.
- Relieves Constipation: This green fruit is a wonderful intestine cleanser. It removes all the harmful toxins of the body through regular bowel movement which makes it even more helpful in relieving constipation. The anti-bacterial property of guava flushes out the bad bacteria and keeps the body healthy.
- Helps in Weight Loss: Guava is a perfect fruit for all those who want to reduce weight. The fibre content keeps the stomach satiated and prevents food cravings. It also works as a natural laxative, helps in constipation and improves digestion. Improved digestion results in the proper allocation of nutrients in the body which further helps in weight loss. Guavas also play an important role in increasing metabolic rate of the body, thus help in making the body more energetic and active.
- Good for Skin: Guavas are loaded with antioxidants that can help slow down the signs of ageing and keep the skin fresh and wrinkle free. The lycopene content of guava fights free radicals which are responsible for various skin problems like blemishes, dark spots etc. Astringent quality of guava gives it skin tightening ability to improve the condition of sagging skin.
- Beneficial for Diabetics: Diabetes can be prevented by regular consumption of guavas. Guavas are rich in fibre content which improves the digestive system and lowers blood sugar level. People suffering from diabetes can easily snack on this fruit as it has a low glycemic index.
- Dental Health: Bleeding gums and toothache can be easily fixed with guavas. While suffering from bleeding or swollen gums, guava juice should be taken instead of eating guavas. The high content of Vitamin C, iron and folate in this tasty fruit helps in resolving dental issues like gingivitis, tongue ulcers, swollen gums and bad breath.