Himalayan berry aka seabuckthorn is a flowering plant from the family Elaeagnaceae. It is found mainly in cold-temperate regions like Europe and Asia. In India, it is found in the great hilly areas of Himalayas. Its scientific name is Hippophae rhamnoides. The plant resembles a small thorny bush with 2 to 4 m of height. It bears fruit that are highly nutritious and juicy. These berries taste tangy and are bright orange-yellow in colour. Himalayan berries are both delightful for the eyes and the body.
During ancient times, this thorn was used as horse fodder to provide beautiful shiny mane to horses. This was because of the deep nourishing qualities which contributed towards preserving beauty. The plant bears small grape-like fruits which are rich in sugar, fruit acids, vitamins, polyphenols, omega, amino acids and minerals. The rich nutrient content qualifies it for medicinal use, nutritional food and drinks. Nowadays Himalayan berry extracts are available in the form of tablets, capsules, juices, nutritional supplements and skin care products.
Benefits of Himalayan Berry
- Anti-Depressant: The anti-oxidants present in Himalayan berries help in maintaining serotonin levels in the body which are responsible for your good mood and happy feeling. Depression is caused when these serotonin levels are altered or are very low in the body. The extracts of these nourishment packed berries help in providing an anti-depressing effect.
- Improves Immunity: The free radicals are responsible for weakening the immune system. Himalayan berries are packed with antioxidants that work towards eroding free radicals from the body. The rich Vitamin C content makes the body strong enough to fight against various diseases attacking the immune system.
- Slows Down the Ageing Process: The high quantity of omega fatty acids makes Himalayan berry a perfect skin nourishing element. It heals damaged and irritated skin. It contains a high percentage Vitamin C which helps in replenishing the skin and in making it firm and wrinkle-free. It even works as an amazing skin protective element.
- Liver Protection: The antioxidants present in the berries help in the detoxification process of the liver which removes all the toxins and enhances the power of liver. It regulates bile and ensures proper digestive health.
- Helps in Gastrointestinal Issues: The healthy acids present in Himalayan berry make it appropriate for stabilizing acidity in the stomach. The high content of antioxidants and nutrients gives relief from inflammation and heals the digestive tract. The high fibre and Vitamin C content also relieves the body from constipation. Thus, it provides relief in issues like indigestion, bloating, acidity, peptic ulcers, IBS, etc.
- Inflammatory Effect: These small berries have a great inflammatory effect on the body. Inflammation and pain associated with it can be reduced to a large extent with these berries. The inflammatory body issues like acne, joint pain and dermatitis can also be treated with the help of these tangy berries.
- Relief from Dry Eyes: Dry eyes lack enough lubrication through the presence of fatty acids. Himalayan berry also nurtures the eyes and prevents further drying. The omega 7 fatty acids reduce dryness causing inflammation and also strengthen the tear film at the edges of the eyes. This tear film prevents the loss of moisture from the eyes, thus providing relief from dry eyes.