Rose belongs to the family Rosaceae and the genus Rosa. Rose plant is a woody perennial herb and has hundreds of species. The plant can be climbing, trailing or an erect shrub. The plant is native to Asia, Europe, Northwest Africa and North America. Rose plant is widely cultivated for its beauty, perfume and some of its medicinal benefits all over the world.
Roses come in many colours. The Rose shrub has alternate, sharply toothed green leaves and thorny stem. The flowers of the Rose plant are exceptionally sweet with pleasant fragrance. Flowers bloom all over the year. Flowers may have five or more than five colourful petals.
Rose contains vitamin A, E, C and B group vitamins, amino acids, minerals such as calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium, volatile oils such as phenyl ethanol, citronellol, nerol, linalool, geraniol and 1-p-menthene, glycosides, fat oils, tannins, quercetin, gallic acid and a pigment cyanine. L-citronellol, rose camphor and geraniol provide fragrance to the oil and rose water.
Anti-inflammatory, cardio-tonic, analgesic, refrigerant, hepatoprotective, calming, anti-spasmodic, anti-depressant, antiseptic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, astringent, bactericidal, laxative, and nervine properties have been observed in Rose plant.
Benefits of Rose
- Improves Mental Health: It helps in treating depression, anxiety and boosting self-esteem and mental strength. The rose oil provides positivity and calmness.
- Promotes Mental Relaxation: Rose promotes relaxation of central nervous system. It also helps in relieving headache.
- Reduces Inflammation: The oil is anti-inflammatory and thus helps in relieving many ailments such as gout, arthritis, and pain and inflammation related with fever.
- Heals Wounds: Rose oil is very useful in treating wounds, since it is anti-septic and anti-bacterial in nature.
- Relieves Pain: Rose oil helps in relieving spasms, muscles pull, convulsion and cramps.
- Fights Viral Infections: It is also helpful in preventing and managing some viral infections.
- Improves Sexual Health: Rose oil works as an aphrodisiac and boosts libido. It reduces the symptoms associated with sexual health.
- Fights Intestinal Infections: It has a bactericidal action and is hence useful in treatment for cholera, typhoid, food poisoning, diarrhea and intestinal bacterial infections.
- Improves Skin Health: Rose water and oil provide considerable improvement in skin health since they give cooling and soothing effects to the skin. They help in fading various scars.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Rose is rich with anti-oxidants and therefore fights free radicals and prevents damage to the organs. It purifies blood, speeds up the healing process.
- Improves Menstrual Health: It prevents the cramps, fatigue and nausea linked with post menopausal symptoms and menstrual symptoms.
- Prevents Excessive Bleeding: Rose oil helps in blood clotting and prevents excessive bleeding.
- Prevents Toxicity: Rose is good for the liver health and prevents any kind of toxicity.
- Improves Digestive Health: It also works as a laxative and eases bowel movements. It is helpful in stomach related issues, soothes digestive tract, protects it from ulcers, heartburn, indigestion and works as a carminative. It reduces the risk of developing irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive disorders.
- Controls Blood Pressure: It regulates blood pressure and promotes blood circulation.
Therapeutic value of rose makes it present as an ingredient in Daily Calm Tea and Immune Boosting Tea.