Varuna also known as Crateva Nurvala belongs to the plant family Capparaceae. It is found in parts of Asia and China. This herb can be found at the edges of forests and near rivers and lakes. It is a medium-sized tree with a height of up to 50 feet. The leaves of the tree are trifoliate with oval leaflets. It grows best in wet soil with a pH value of 7. It has small fruits that resemble lemons and are red in colour. The flowers are white in colour with some tint of green and yellow colour.
Some other common names of Varuna are Sacred lingam tree, baruna and holy garlic pear. In Sanskrit, it is called Varana, Setu and Rodha Vrushka. Its English name is Three-leaved Caper. Due to its bitter taste, it is categorised under the category Tikta Skandha. Stem, root, bark, leaves and flowers of Varuna plants are used for health care purposes. Its bark particularly has been used as a medicine in Ayurveda and Siddha. The decoction of its leaves has laxative, diuretic, carminative, thermogenic, expectorant and demulcent properties.
The taste of its fruit is quite bitter and has high potency. It is light to digest and dry in nature. Some of its important constituents are flavonoids, tannins, saponins, alkaloids, sterols, triterpenes and glucosilinates. Varuna plant finds a place in Ayurveda because of its speciality in balancing the doshas in the body.
Benefits of Varuna
- Effective Diuretic: Natural diuretics like Varuna can help a lot. It reduces the pain during urination, eases the flow of urine and even helps in reducing urine infection. Its effective compounds help in breaking down of kidney stones and removal of renal cysts. The bark of Varuna plant is used for the treatment of urinary tract infections.
- Eases Abdominal Pain: Abdominal pain can be treated naturally with the use of Varuna. Abdominal swelling can be reduced with anti-inflammatory properties of this plant. It is even helpful in pain caused by spleen inflammation.
- Reduces Fever: The leaves of this plant help in reducing fever and in reducing body pain due to its anti-pyretic properties. Migraines and headaches are also reduced with Varuna.
- Improves Digestion: Varuna increases appetite and stimulates digestion. Digestive issues like bloating, gas, swelling and especially constipation can be relieved to a large extent with the use of this herb. It improves the functioning of liver with the promotion of bile discharge.
- Natural Blood Purifier: Since ancient times, Varuna has been used for its purifying properties. It detoxifies blood and also helps in removing toxins from the body.
- Treats Worm Infestation: This herb has anthelmintic properties which help in reducing parasite worms. It is a great way of expelling worms naturally from the body. It is good for individuals who suffer from the regular problem of parasite worms.
- Aids People with Arthritis: Due to the amazing anti-inflammatory properties, Varuna helps in reducing the swelling of joints. Rheumatic arthritis can also be treated with the use of this herbal plant.