Jamun is scientifically known as Syzygium cumini. It belongs to the family Myrtaceae and is native to China, India, Asia, Australia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal. It is a flowering, tall and evergreen tree mostly found in tropical areas. The bark is rough, brown or gray in colour and densely rich in foliage and fragmented flowers that later on develop into berries. Unripe fruits are green or pink but after maturation the colour of fruits changes to black and purple. The fruit is fleshy, sweet, olive-like or oblong in shape. It is a fast growing ornamental tree and it can grow in wet or moist soil in shady areas.
Jamun is richly loaded with dietary fibres, carbohydrates, vitamins including B1, B2, B3, B6 and vitamin C, minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, and potassium. Jamun fruits are sweet and astringent in taste and contain high amount of tannins, polyphenols and anthocyanins.
The fruit contains a seed which is similar to a coffee bean in shape and size. The whole fruit, including seed is used to treat diabetes and its bark is used to treat dysentery, irregular menstruation, colic and diarrhoea. Fruit is widely eaten and use to make jelly and desserts.
Syzygium cumini has been used by the Chinese to treat dysentery and diabetes. Due to its vast range of use in improving health of humans, it is used in herbal health supplements.
Benefits of Jamun
- Improves Digestive Health: The healing power of Jamun fruit is good for the stomach health, especially in managing diarrhoea, ulcer and appendicitis. It is anti-bacterial and thus prevents any kind of infection.
- Restores Normal Bowel Movement: It improves and restores natural movement of the bowel and prevents constipation.
- Triggers Saliva Production: The fruit triggers the production of saliva and assists in digestion.
- Helps in De-Worming: The bark of Jamun plant is used in de-worming to get rid of worms.
- Prevents Infections: The leaves of the plant possess anti-bacterial properties that help in prevention of infections in gums and teeth.
- Treats Diabetes: Indian blackberry can treat type II diabetes as it regulates the blood glucose level and at the same time provides nutrition or antioxidants. It has oleanolic acid which is known to have anti-diabetic property. It improves biosynthesis, secretion, signalling and sensitivity of insulin and prevents complications associated with diabetes by regulating the lipid and sugar level in the blood. It also regulates excessive thirst and urination.
- Treats Heart Problems: Jamun helps to prevent and treat heart-related disorders. It contains triterpenoids that prevent or slow down the production and accumulation of cholesterol.
- Treats Haemorrhoids: It is used to treat bleeding haemorrhoids or piles and vein hardening.
- Fights Anaemia: Indian blackberry offers folate and iron that improve the haemoglobin level and prevent anaemia and also aid in blood purification.
- Assists in Liver Detoxification: Jamun cleanses the body and liver of toxins.
- Improves Skin Health: Jamun contain rich amount of vitamin C, which is good for the skin health and works as anti-aging natural agent.
- Improves Anti-oxidants in Body: It improves the anti-oxidants content of the body, helps in wound healing and prevents infections including cough and cold.
- Prevents Against Cancer: Polyphenols including anthocyanins, gallic acid and flavonoids in Jamun prevent the risk of cancer and provide anti-oxidants and strengthen the immune system.
Jamun has been included in Diabewell Juice to regulate diabetes and prevent its complications.