Kesar is the Hindi name of saffron. It is also known as Crocus Sativus or Saffron Crocus. It is a perennial flowering plant which originated in mainland Greece. It grows up to a height of 20-30 cm. The flower of this plant is purple in colour and has a honey like aroma. Kesar is nothing else but the dried stigma of the flowers of kesar plant.
There are many varieties of saffron available which are used for flavouring the food as a spice. It is quite popular for its antioxidant, anti-fungal, antimicrobial property and finds a place in the preparation of many useful medicines.
Kesar is rich in many nutritious elements like protein, carbohydrates, minerals and dietary fibre. All these constituents make it very healthy and completely safe for consumption. It has been used traditionally in Ayurveda due to the natural healing power that it possesses. High quality saffron is now considered to be one of the most expensive ingredients in the world.
Benefits of Kesar
- Increases Male Fertility: Kesar is known to increase sperm count and improves overall fertility in men. It also helps in reducing erectile dysfunction and is a natural aphrodisiac. Kesar is also useful in improving female fertility.
- Improves vision: Kesar has a natural composition that helps in improving vision. It increases the muscular strength of the eyes that enables the patients to have a clearer and better vision. It also plays an important role in improving the function of retina. It possesses carotene that helps in the treatment of retinal neuro-degenerative disease. Saffron can be found in the composition of many eye related medicines especially used for elderly people.
- Treats insomnia: Insomnia is the result of negative impacts of stress, anxiety, medicines and other health issues. Kesar can be helpful in treating insomnia to a great extent. It relaxes the body and mind which helps in providing better sleep. Anxiety, depression and stress can be handled significantly with the regular use of kesar.
- Helpful in digestion: Kesar has an amazing effect on the digestive system of our body. The rich composition of antioxidants helps in improving the digestion. Stomach issues like peptic ulcers, gastric issues and inflammation are also handled well by the use of kesar.
- Heals wounds: Kesar is herbal in nature and heals wounds naturally. The cuts and burns can be offered better and quicker healing with the use of saffron.
- Improves immunity: Low levels of immunity can deteriorate health on a great level. Saffron is highly recommended to be used regularly for improving immunity and overall health. Its powerful action against pathogens attacking the body helps in lesser infections and diseases. It also gives a boost to the energy levels of the body due to which it is an important ingredient of many health supplements.
- Improves mental health: Researches state that kesar has been immensely useful for improving mental health. It induces better learning power and improves memory. Due to its significant contribution towards brain health, it has been used for treating diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
- Benefits to skin: Use of kesar can reduce skin problems. It is an age-old natural home remedy and protects the skin against various skin issues. Diseases like skin cancer can also be treated with the use of this miraculous herb. It is an important part of many skin care supplements because of the major benefits that it provides to the skin.