Kultha with the botanical name Macrotyloma Uniflorum (previously termed as Dolichos Biflorus) is a plant from the Leguminosae family. It is found in Asia and Africa. In India, it is grown in southern states like Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka.
The seeds of this shrub are generally very useful. This plant looks like most of the bean bearing plants. It has a tap root with nitrogen nodules. Kultha is popularly known as Kulattha or Kulatthika in Sanskrit and its common name is Horse gram.
It is a perennial plant and its seeds resemble moong dal in appearance but have a yellow colour. Horse gram is available in two varieties. One which is grown commercially and second which is the wild variety that grows on its own. This plant has an important place in Ayurveda. It works on balancing the doshas of the body. Digestive issues, renal stone problems, arthritis, inflammatory issues and fever are some common problems that can be treated naturally with kultha.
Kultha or horsegram is available in four types on the basis of its colour:
These seeds are rich in protein, pentosan and some percentage of water-soluble gum. Some other important constituents are Collidin and Genistein. It also contains calcium and traces of phosphorus. Kultha leaves can be used for curing Vitamin C deficiency. Its rich content of amino acids makes it even better than soyabean when it comes to nutrition. It also contains Vitamin A.
Benefits of Kultha
- Removes Stones: Kultha seeds are useful for removing stones from the gall bladder, kidney and urine. It breaks down the stones and helps in easing the flow of urine. It is also helpful in treating the problem of painful urination. Kultha is rich in urease enzymes which help in reducing urea by converting it into ammonia. Using this herb keeps the kidneys healthy.
- Regular Menstrual Cycle: The consumption of Kultha seeds help in maintaining a regular menstrual cycle. It increases the flow of blood during periods. Menstrual disorders can be helped naturally with kultha.
- Effective in Treating Constipation: Constipation can constantly trouble people and lead to several diseases like piles. One of the best ways to avoid constipation is to use the seeds of Kultha plant. It not only avoids constipation but also provides relief from regular constipation. Indigestion and bloating can also be managed.
- Lowers High Cholesterol: Kultha plant is effective in lowering high cholesterol. This further keeps a check on heart diseases. The antioxidants present in this plant reduce free radicals in the body which are responsible for many diseases.
- Helps in Reducing Worms: Worms can be really difficult to handle. But with the use of kultha, worms can be removed from intestines and wounds.
- Reduces Respiratory Issues: Kultha plant is believed to treat asthma, breathing issues and respiratory disorders. Many times, the smoke generated by burning the powder of kultha seeds is used for relieving hiccups.