Shilajit is a pale, brown and blackish powder. It is a tar-like natural substance which consists of organic materials and humus, formed by slow compression of the plants between the layers of the rocks. It oozes out from high mountain rocks during summer season. This mineral rich organic substance comes under the category of herbomineral drug. It has a bitter taste and slightly unpleasant odour. Shilajit is an age-old, well-known Ayurvedic remedy for sound and positive health and well being. The name shilajit comes from the Sanskrit compound word called ‘Shilajatu’ which implies rock-tar. It has also been used as a ‘weakness destroyer’.
Shilajit is a natural and safe alternative to address male infertility from the time of traditional Ayurveda. It is a safe dietary adjunct that restores energy and balance and prevents certain diseases.
Shilajit has been known as a rejuvenator and anti-aging natural compound in Ayurveda and other traditional system of medicines and comes under the category of “Rasayana” because it restores human health and provides physical strength.
Shilajit is found abundantly in the mountain and hilly areas of Uttarakhand, Kashmir, lower Himalayas, Nepal, China, Bhutan, Afghanistan and Tibet.
Other names of Shilajit are Mineral pitch, Jew’s pitch, Ozokerite and Mineral wax.
It consists of 60-80 percent of fulvic acid and other oligoelements including resins, albumins, latex, gums, polyphenols, triterpenes, amino acids, 3, 4-benzocoumarins, dibenzo-alpha-pyrones, humic acid and sterols.
Shilajit contains more than 80 percent minerals in their ionic forms, such as silver, zinc, copper, lead and iron.
Fulvic acid and other oligoelements work both at cellular and molecular levels.
The ample amount of minerals and fulvic acid in Shilajit help in energy production, blood formation, averting hypoxia. Shilajit works as a cardiac tonic and beats chronic fatigue, lethargy and tiredness. Fulvic acid also aids in nutrient transportation in the cells and tissues, and improves the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood.
Shilajit has a long history of various medicinal uses, such as, in diabetes, and problems of cardiac, nervous, urinary and immune system. Shilajit works as performance enhancer and demonstrates various healing properties.
Benefits of Shilajit
- Supports Male Reproductive Health: Shilajit has humic acid and fulvic acid, which are very strong anti-oxidants, and more than 80 crucial minerals that impart incredible health benefits to the male health and support overall male reproductive system.
- Regulates Testosterone Level: It regulates the level of testosterone, a male hormone responsible for the libido, hair growth, energy production, body fat and muscle mass. Low level of this hormone may affect all these functions. Higher testosterone levels also protect muscle tissue, enhance mood and well being.
- Improves Male Fertility: Shilajit is a safe supplement for reducing infertility linked with males, since it is a rich source of minerals, which may greatly enhance sperm motility, quality and quantity. Thus in this way, Shilajit can help in restoring male fertility.
- Fights Chronic Fatigue: Fatigue or extreme tiredness may be the result of long term condition known as chronic fatigue syndrome that may affect our day to day work or other activities. It may get challenging to carry on daily physical activities. Various studies prove that Shilajit may restore energy by improving mitochondrial activity, which may be due to the dysfunction of the mitochondria i.e. powerhouse of energy production. Thus Shilajit naturally boosts energy.
- Anti-ageing: High level of fulvic acid in Shilajit has a strong anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effect, which prevents cellular damage and protects from toxins or free radicals. Hence Shilajit delays the aging.
- Fights Anaemia: Shilajit prevents iron deficiency anaemia and the symptoms related to it such as extreme fatigue, weakness, headache, pale skin, etc. and can improve iron levels gradually.
- Reduces Mountain Sickness: Shilajit helps with high altitude mountain sickness, which may cause lethargy, insomnia, hypoxia, slow memory and pulmonary edema. Shilajit helps in overcoming mountain sickness, since it contains an enormous amount of minerals, which work as diuretic, improve memory, boost energy. It treats all the symptoms associated with high altitude mountain sickness.
- Delays Memory Loss: It may slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease, since Shilajit is a rich source of anti-oxidants, especially fulvic acid, which prevents the accumulation of plaque in the brain cells and reduces inflammation. Shilajit improves the symptoms linked with Alzheimer’s disease. Dibenzo-alpha-pyrones, present in Shilajit, prevents breakdown of the neurotransmitters or brain chemicals and supports normal memory and brain health.
- Improves Energy Level: Shilajit improves energy production and works on a cellular level, imparts more awakening feeling and helps in quick recovery.
Therapeutic value of shilajit makes it present in Vitalboost Tablets of Preserva Wellness.