Tagar or Valeriana Wallichii is a rhizome herb of the genus Valeriana. It belongs to the Valerianaceae family. It grows in the temperate zone of the great Himalayas. Usually, it is known by several names like Kutil, Vakr, Nahush, Sugandhbala and Tagarmula. It is often called Indian valerian because of the growth and availability in India.
Tagar is bitter in taste and is strong and pungent. It works really well on the nervous system and improves the health of the brain. It is hot in nature and increases bile production for better digestion. The root of this herb is used for medicinal purposes in Ayurveda. It can be used in the form of fresh juice or in powdered form. The analgesic, anti-microbial, carminative and antispasmodic properties make it an essential ingredient of many Ayurvedic medications
Benefits of Tagar
- Pain Reliever: Tagar root can be consumed for reducing various types of pain. Joint pain, stomach pain and headache can be reduced with this amazing herb. Since it has anti-spasmodic properties, muscle pain can also be relieved easily.
- Reduces Menstrual Cramps: Menstrual cramps hurt terribly and result in a lot of discomfort in the body. As mentioned above, Tagar has anti-spasmodic properties which help in easing muscles and suppressing muscle spasms. Thus, it helps in reducing menstrual cramps.
- Stress Reduction: The roots of Tagar herb is perfect for reducing stress. Anxiety and depression is also dealt with quite well with this herb. Stress brings along many more health disorders which can be prevented with the regular use of tagar.
- Sleep Enhancer: People who find it difficult to sleep need to introduce tagar in their daily life. Tagar improves sleep cycle and also the quality of sleep. It is best suited for individuals suffering from insomnia.
- Nerve Relaxant: Tagar brings down the level of anxiety and stress. With minimal stress, a calming effect is initiated for the nervous system.
- Improves Brain Health: The use of tagar root is beneficial in the removal of any obstruction from nerve channels. It relaxes the mind and improves brain health. It frequently serves the purpose of a memory enhancer. With the use of this herb problems like epilepsy and ADHD can also be supressed.
- Energise the Body: Laziness and tiredness can be done away with tagar extracts. It energises the body and alerts the mind. With the light feeling this herb provides, the entire day can be spent with energy and enthusiasm.
- Improves Digestion: The root of tagar helps in improving the appetite which results in better digestion. It also relieves the body from digestive issues like bloating, flatulence and constipation. It works like a great cleanser and removes toxins from the body.
- Manages Blood Pressure: The root of Indian Valerian is responsible for reducing trembling in the body, reducing irritation and hypersensitivity and for regulating high blood pressure.
- Reduces Migraine Pain: Valeriana is known for its pain relieving and stress reducing qualities. It calms down the nervous system and helps in reducing migraine pain. Migraine symptoms like nausea can also be reduced with this herb.