Triphala is an Ayurvedic formula made by the use of three fruits. The word ‘Triphala’ is a Sanskrit word which means a combination of three fruits. These three fruits belong to the plants Emblica Officinalis, Terminalia Bellerica & Terminalia chebula. These three fruits are largely popular for their benefits & their combination is of great importance in the composition of many Ayurvedic medicines.
As per Ayurveda, all the three doshas can be balanced with this herbal formulation. Triphala has little sour & bitter taste. It is rich in polyphenols, vitamins & flavonoids. Triphala powder has traditionally been popular for its cleansing action and good digestive & assimilation effect.
It is known to have antibacterial, anti-viral & anti-cancer properties. It is a major constituent of more than 1500 Ayurvedic formulations. Triphala is a very powerful formula due to the combination of three powerful herbs. It has effective blood & liver cleansing power.
Benefits of Triphala
- Promotes digestion : Triphala works by stimulating the gastro-intestinal juices which are necessary for proper digestion of food. It is used to treat constipation & can cleanse the colon effectively. It even regulates the smooth functioning of the colon which is essential for good health.
- Eye Benefits : Triphla works on the eye muscles & improves eyesight. It is useful in treating many eye problems like glaucoma, conjunctivitis & myopia. Triphla is even used in preparing eyewashes.
- Helpful in arthritis : Arthritis is not easy to cure but its symptoms can be handled well with the use of triphala. Triphala has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation in joints. It also helps in removing the toxins from the colon which determines the health of bones. It is found in many medicinal formulations prepared for treating arthritis.
- Natural Laxative : Triphala is considered the best natural remedy for those suffering from constipation. In fact, triphala is a major constituent of many laxative medicines. Moreover, it has no side effects due to its natural action.
- Relieves Stress : Stress is unavoidable in the super hectic lifestyles of individuals nowadays. Triphala is a natural formulation that helps in providing relief from stress. It lowers the increasing levels of lipid oxidation & corticosterone which are responsible for stress in the human body. Significant consumption of triphala for regular time period makes the body strong enough to handle stress.
- Helps in healing wounds : Triphala helps in the healing of wounds. It acts firmly against pathogens attacking the wounds. This prevents infections of the wounds & rapids up the healing process.
- Reduces obesity : Obesity is the health condition with excessive weight gain. This increase in weight is quite abnormal & is very difficult to reduce. Triphala has gallic acid which has anti-obesity property. It helps in controlling weight gain. Triphala is a natural formula for obesity that shows no side effects on the body.
- Improves immunity : Triphala can also be used to improve overall health which in turn improves immunity. It is a good source of antioxidants, flavonoids, alkaloids, tannins, glycosides, saponins, etc. which are known to reduce stress. These compounds show the anti-oxidant effect on the body that enhances health & longevity.