Scientifically known as Pterocarpus marsupium, Vijaysar is a large deciduous tree indigenous to India, Nepal and Sri Lanka. It is also known by different names in different regions, including Vijaysar, Indian Kino tree, Malabar kino, Red Sandalwood, Asana, and many more. Vijaysar is one such plant where every of its part, including its bark, leaves, gum, fruits and flowers, has had extensive uses in the field of traditional medicines since centuries ago due to its incredible therapeutic and healing properties. In homoeopathic medicine like Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha, the Vijaysar plant, especially its bark, is one of the main ingredients in the treatment of diabetes.
It is believed that drinking water stored in a Vijaysar bark wood cup in the morning is an age-old practice for keeping blood sugar levels in check. Likewise, the anti-hyperlipidemic properties of the plant are also known to help in reducing bad cholesterol levels, low-density lipoprotein and triglyceride levels in the body. Additionally, a decoction made from the bark, leaves and foliage of the Vijaysar tree exhibits potent astringent properties and is extremely useful in treating cuts, bruises and other skin conditions.
Benefits of Vijaysar
- Lowers Blood Sugar Levels: Be it the leaf juice, bark powder or heartwood poultice, Vijaysar is an excellent Ayurvedic plant in managing high blood sugar levels. Its anti-glycemic nature and astringent properties help in reducing blood sugar levels and triglycerides as well as in suppressing sugar cravings. It also helps lower diabetic symptoms such as frequent urination, overeating, constant thirst, and burning pains in the limbs.
- Improves Digestion: Vijaysar plant is also known to be an excellent solution for improving gut health by increasing nutrient absorption in the stomach. Formulations made from the plant help in preventing flatulence, bloating, indigestion, diarrhoea and other intestinal infections. Herbal tea made from the bark of the plant exhibits high efficacy in the case of intestinal parasites and IBS.
- Promotes Skin Health: The bark and leaves of the Vijaysar plant contain rich antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties which help in purifying and eliminating toxins from the blood. This helps nourish the skin and keeps skin diseases at bay. Applying a Vijaysar’s bark or leaf paste on the skin can help reduce fine lines, wrinkles, blemishes and even manage conditions like eczema, itching, boils and psoriasis.
- Supports Healthy Weight Loss: Vijaysar I a good source of flavonoids and alkaloids which are beneficial in reducing excess fat from the body. Consumption of Vijaysar’s bark powder helps in improving metabolism, suppresses appetite, and also helps in reducing the accumulation of bad cholesterol in the body, thereby helping the body to maintain a healthy weight.
- Treats Wounds And Ulcers: Vijaysar heartwood contains a good amount of antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties which are beneficial in treating different types of ulcers such as mouth ulcers or canker sores, peptic ulcers, ulcerative colitis, etc. It helps promote tissue generation and supports faster wound healing.
- Helps Relieve Arthritis: A paste made from the leaves of the plant is known to help relieve pain and inflammation of the joint, muscle or bone. The potent analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of the plant is also beneficial in managing conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and other pain-causing inflammation.
- Prevents Dental Issues: The rich antimicrobial properties of the plant act as an excellent remedy in treating various dental issues like bad breath, toothache, bleeding gums, tooth ulcers, etc. Its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties make it a good ingredient in herbal tooth powder.
Vijaysar formulations are generally deemed safe for consumption with a wide range of amazing health benefits. However, it is still important to consume it in the prescribed amount. And since it is used to treat diarrhoea, it is not suitable in case of constipation. Precaution must be taken for diabetic patients to avoid Vijayar’s interference with any ongoing diabetic medications.